18 St John Street Chambers are actively inviting applications from established practitioners due to our extremely busy and increasing workload. We are keen to attract established practitioners across all our departments. Applications will be treated in strictest confidence and should be addressed to the Chambers Manager.
Enquiries can be made in confidence to the Head of Recruitment Committee, Leonie Caplan who will arrange for you to have an informal discussion with the head of the relevant team.
Applications for Pupillage
Pupillage Applications are currently closed.
We recruit pupils in line with the Pupillage Gateway timetable, for more information please visit www.pupillagegateway.com
For more details about pupillage please see our Pupillage & Recruitment Policy which can be downloaded here.
18 St John Street has published its Diversity Data from the 2021 round of pupillage applications. The link can be found by clicking here.
Head of Chambers, Richard Chapman QC, said, “Our commitment to diversity is longstanding, is well-evidenced by our approach to recruitment, and has ensured that we have attracted the very best applicants, pupils, and tenants. 18 has always emphasised the importance of being a close community of colleagues and friends, which makes inclusion and diversity natural parts of who we are.”
18 St John Street Mini Pupillage applications are now closed – Thank you to those who have sent over their application.
We understand how difficult it has been since the outset of the pandemic for those considering a career at the Bar to gain work experience and mini pupillages.
Chambers will be offering up to 20 mini pupillages.
We look forward to welcoming the successful applicants to Chambers between December 2021 and March 2022.
The mini pupillages will allow the successful applicants to gain a useful insight into life at the Bar and at 18 St John Street Chambers.
All students (at undergraduate level or above) or graduates who are considering a career as a barrister, are invited to apply.
Chambers promotes equal opportunities and is committed to diversity at the Bar. It is important that as many people as possible, from a variety of different backgrounds, are encouraged to consider a career as a barrister.
- Duration: Up to 3 days (not necessarily consecutive), to accommodate any other commitments the successful applicants may have.
- Dates: To be agreed, in order to accommodate any other commitments the successful applicants may have.
- Application process: Application form available on the website to be submitted to email@example.com.
- Deadline for applications: Applications are now Closed
- Financial support available for travel expenses.
- The selection criteria is set out in the application form.
- There is no ‘minimum grade’ requirement.
- Practice areas: Chambers has barristers in a wide range of practice areas: https://www.18sjs.com/our-expertise/.
- Applicants are invited to specify any particular practice areas they wish to explore.
- Location: Chambers premises are in Manchester. Video/remote attendance can be requested.
- If you require any reasonable adjustments during the application process or during a mini pupillage, please do not hesitate to contact us.