18 St John Street Chambers are actively inviting applications from established practitioners due to our extremely busy and increasing workload. We are keen to attract established practitioners across all our departments. Applications will be treated in strictest confidence and should be addressed to the Chambers Manager.
At present, we are particularly keen to attract applications from ambitious juniors of up to 10 years’ call to join its busy and expanding Business and Property department and also for our Personal Injury, Clinical Negligence and Costs department.
Enquiries can be made in confidence to the Head of Recruitment Committee, Leonie Caplan who will arrange for you to have an informal discussion with the head of the relevant team.
Applications for Full Pupillage
Applications for 2024 pupillages open on 3rd January 2024 and close on 7th February via the Pupillage Gateway.
- We recruit pupils in line with the Pupillage Gateway timetable. The application period for 2025 will open in January 2024. For more information please visit www.pupillagegateway.com
For more details about our pupillage offers, including information on assessment, interviews and funding, please see our Pupillage & Recruitment Policy which can be downloaded here.
18 St John Street has published its Diversity Data from the 2021 round of pupillage applications. The link can be found by clicking here.
Head of Chambers, Richard Chapman KC, said, “Our commitment to diversity is longstanding, is well-evidenced by our approach to recruitment, and has ensured that we have attracted the very best applicants, pupils, and tenants. 18 has always emphasised the importance of being a close community of colleagues and friends, which makes inclusion and diversity natural parts of who we are.”
If you are considering becoming a Barrister and would like to see what life in a Chambers is like, why not join us for a Mini Pupillage.
In 2024 we will offer twelve 3-day mini pupillages and the application process will be open from 20th November – 20th December.
- Applicants must be over 18 years old
- Our application form will be available to download when the application process opens
- We do not accept CV’s or covering letters
- Mini Pupillages will be offered between February – June 2024
- Successful applicants will be contacted by 20th January 2024
The selection criteria for applicants: Is the applicant someone who, in the future, could be a promising applicant for a career as a barrister?
- Applicants who have begun to accumulate the qualifications, skills, and experience that are relevant to a career as a barrister are more likely to be successful.
- Applicants who write clearly and persuasively on the written application are more likely to be successful.
Please download the Mini Pupillage Application Form and once completed return to email@example.com by 20th December 2023.
In addition, in line with our Equality & Diversity Policy we will continue to offer Work experience to students via:
- Bar Placement Scheme
- Sutton Trust Equality & Diversity Project
- Inner Temple PASS scheme