18 St John Street are delighted to offer mediation and arbitration services. We can boast a group of experienced, CEDR accredited mediators and qualified and experienced arbitrators who can provide a range of alternative dispute resolution services.
Our primary expertise is in contract and property disputes (including family property).
We can also deal with professional negligence disputes (not including medical negligence).
For clients in person or for solicitors advising clients, we can provide:
- specialist mediators
- experienced arbitrators
- barristers who can provide expert determinations
- tech support for all of these to happen remotely.
Dispute resolution services we can provide:
- Mediation: a neutral third party facilitator helps the parties reach a negotiated settlement through a confidential process. Avoids a court-imposed decision and allows resolution of issues outside the scope of any litigation. Can be conducted remotely as well as in person, and we can provide the tech to make that happen.
For details of mediation fees click here (including fixed fees for low value claims)
- Arbitration: parties appoint their own tribunal to reach a binding determination of their dispute. Parties have more control over the process than court, and the whole as well as being entirely confidential to the parties. Can be conducted as a paper process or with oral hearings for witnesses and submissions, which can be conducted remotely.
- Expert determination: instruct am experienced barrister to provide a decision on the merits of the case. Much more summary than arbitration and does not involve any sort of hearings. Parties can decide if it is binding.
- Early neutral evaluation (ENE): non-binding instruction of an experienced barrister to give the parties a view on the merits of the case at an early stage. Helps the parties be realistic about their case and steers them towards a negotiated settlement.
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19 UPDATE)
- Many cases are on hold because of the global pandemic.
- Many parties to disputes are having to cope with much more stress and loss of livelihood and can no longer afford expensive and time-consuming litigation
- We can help you get your case settled to avoid ongoing cost and uncertainty.
- We can provide ADR services remotely so that you can get on with getting rid of your dispute without having to meet up with other people.
- We have the tech support to provide mediation by video link so that the parties and their advisers can meet the mediator separately from each other, with facilities for lawyers to talk to each other apart from clients if required. We can also help with managing documents electronically and ebundles.
- We can help you work out the right process if you still need a decision so that you can avoid courts and conduct a private process which is proportionate to the size of the dispute, for example paper determination or arbitration, or telephone or video arbitral hearings.
Our mediators maintain memberships of one or more of these professional associations;
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) Exchange
- Association of Northern Mediators
- Bar Council of England and Wales
- Law Society